Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Limitations.




So today I had planned a whole post about weight loss.... Then my heart changed after my run today. Funny how I always think I know what I want to write about until my quiet time with God & it completely changes. Maybe I will save that post for another day. Here is an extension from a few points in yesterday's post.

Mediocrity:
Of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.

I do not want to be mediocre. I don't want to just show up everyday. I want to show up ready to take action with enthusiasm.


Do you set limitations for yourself? Growing up I remember everyone telling me: you can be anything you want to be when you grow up. I am sorry to tell you this but this is not true. If it was true then I would be able to belt out a beautiful song like my friend Katrina. Not everyone will sing in Nashville, perform on Broadway, make it to the Majors, or play in the NFL. I DO believe you can be anything God has called you to be & to do... but you must take action. Maybe those things are what you are called to be or maybe not. He can use your gifts to do great things but you must seek it & go after it. You must give it your all everyday. There will be days when you fail but you have to press on toward the goal that God has given you. 

"You cannot walk towards your greatness, you can only walk away from it." 
-Keith Kochner

I have developed a passion for ministry in a few different areas & honestly when God first revealed these to me I immediately set limitations on myself. "No way God, not me. I can't do that. I am just not qualified.  I'm not good enough. Are you sure?" I began setting limitations before even considering what he had in store for me. Each day he peels back another piece of insecurity off of me & replaces it with faith & confidence in Him. 

Not only do I choose to stop setting limitations on my passion of ministry but I choose to stop limiting my ability to be a runner. I CAN run a marathon. I CAN qualify for Boston. I CAN eat healthy. I choose to not take my health lightly & I choose to neglect mediocrity. I choose to give it my full effort everyday in all that I do so I can say no matter what the result today I glorified my God with my full effort. I will not let lies hold me back from seeking my full potential. This can be a broad range of things: Running, Motherhood, Marriage, Career, Friendships, Health, Serving, etc.

I was talking to a friend last night who swam in the Olympics & now she is her son's swimming coach. We talked about how we hope our boys learn that no matter what you are doing in life you must give it your all. It doesn't mean you will always win but it does mean you will be able to say you gave it everything you had. “We live in this world of people getting trophies just for showing up,” Martin Dugard (author & cross country coach) says in his new book. This is so true. If this was the case in motherhood then what happens when Jace has a dirty diaper & I go into change it but simply never remove it? (lol) What happens in marriage when I go out on a date with my husband but am silent the entire time? What happens when I show up at the gym but never step foot on a machine? We must do more than just show up everyday.  We must not only show up but show up ready to give our full effort... enthusiastically.

Are you just showing up expecting results or are you showing up ready to put yourself in action & give it your all regardless of result?

 I remember back in college I had an assistant coach tell me how I wasn't near as athletic compared to my teammates & remember how much that has affected me even still to this day. I remember immediately setting limitations for myself because of it & I truly believe that held me back from a lot of things. I pray that you will not let others define you. I learned the hard way but each day I've rebuilt my foundation on Him. God will give you all the tools you need in order to pursue the things he has laid on your heart.... even if it doesn't seem possible right now. He has big plans for you... what are you waiting for? Take action. 



I have been humbled the past few days if you haven't already noticed. I will continue to fail daily as we all do, however, I will give God my best. I can't wait to see what kind of runner/mother/wife/sister/friend/daughter I can be when I give it my all! We might say we aren't good enough or capable but God says all things are possible with Him. (Luke 18:27) We will never know our full potential until we try.

Today's Tip: If you are a momma to boys this is a great book about raising healthy boys! I downloaded it on my new kindle today! Go check it out!
Click here to read more!

To read more about Martin Dugard's new book click here.


23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters...
Colossians 3:23

Take action! Go about your day...enthusiastically!


No comments:

Post a Comment