Saturday, June 18, 2011

Glimpse into Dad's world: Hef

Happy Father's Day!

In honor of Father's Day I want to share with you my wonderful husband: Jeremy Hefner (aka-Hef). As most of you know, Jeremy plays professional baseball with the San Diego Padres organization. Jeremy & I met 5 years ago while he was playing at the JUCO where my dad coached college softball & where I ended up playing as well. The rest is history :) 

We both have a passion to promote a healthy lifestyle in all areas of life. Although, we know that there will be times when we mess up we still strive each day to glorify God in all that we do. 

Jeremy has taught me so much over the past 5 years. I look up to him more than he probably notices & I hope you are inspired by him! I want to give you a glimpse into Jeremy's side of things today. Here are a few questions we put together for you guys (& girls) out there! Enjoy!

-As a husband, father & professional athlete what is one key thing do you do in order to take care of your body on a daily basis in order to keep up with your busy schedule?

For me I think one of the biggest keys to taking care of my body is rest! I always feel so much better, reguardless of my diet, the next day if I got a solid 7-10 hours if sleep. I know for a lot of people this is extremely hard. Kids, work, or favorite tv shows among other things sometimes gets in the way of good rest. Exhaust all effort to getting in bed. You will feel so much better for it!

-How has becoming a father influenced your eating habits & exercise routine?

If you have kids you know what a life changing experience it is & how much joy they bring us! With that joy comes a lot of responsibility. Responsibility of safety, happiness, discipline, and among others health. Your habits will most likely become your kids. With this in mind Sarah & I really try hard to eat well in front of Jace so that one day when he has to make decisions about what he eats he will have the knowledge to do so. This doesn't mean we don't like to enjoy a big bowl of ice cream... because we do!

-What motivates you to give it 100% everyday?

This seems like a simple straightforward question, but it's not. There are so many things that have contributed to the way I am, the way I live my life, the way I work at my job, & the way I love my family. I am not perfect and I will be the first one to tell you that. I can't control outcomes in life. I can only control my effort. My motivation comes from a number of things. First and foremost to glorify God & from my family. Sarah and Jace are the reason I work so hard at life! Sarah inspires me to do things (like write on blogs and try sushi) that normally I wouldn't. She is fearless, God loving, and the best mom/wife a man could ask for. I would be doing her a disservice if I didn't give 100%. Jace motivates me everyday because my dad motivated me and I hope to do the same for Jace. I hope to be the dad to him that my dad was to me! 

-How do you respond to the days when you give it your full effort & the results don't turn out like you'd hoped?

 In my line of working failing is the norm. Baseball is a game of failure. Like I said in a previous question I CAN'T control the outcomes of my game or in life for that matter. I try to give it my full effort everyday and most days I do not see a lot of positive results. Our season is like a marathon, it's not a sprint. Consistency is the main key. There are going to be ups and downs, and wins & losses. If I keep my consistent approach then at the end of the day I can keep my head held high! Just like in weight loss, strength training, or running somedays you will feel tired and sore, but if you stick with it you will see the results!

-If you could give one piece of advice to the readers about having a healthy balanced lifestyle what would that be?

Push yourself. Whatever it is you're doing in your life you can push yourself to your full effort. Push yourself to run a little farther. Push yourself to do one more rep. Push yourself to be a better mother/father. Push yourself to be the best at your job. Push your self to help others. Push yourself to love others. Push yourself to open your Bible & seek God. Push yourself to encourage. Push yourself to consistently get out of your comfort zone & results will follow.  I could go on and on. I try to do these things and my challenge is that you will, too!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

-What is a piece of advice you would give all the young boys out there who have the desire to pursue baseball as a career someday?

Play the game with enthusiasm! Have fun when you play! It is a pressure filled game. Sometimes I let that get the best of me instead of enjoying the game I have grown to love. You're going to give up homeruns and strikeout, but it's how you respond. Keeping your head up and trying your best next time is the key! Have fun while you're doing it!

(You can read more about Jeremy's baseball here.)

*side note: I took Saturday off & will run my long run on Sunday. I had a sick little boy yesterday :(

I hope you are inspired by the words of my husband today. 
Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there!

Today's Tip: I encourage you to take the time to tell your husbands/dads just how special they are to you today! 

Would LOVE for you to comment & share something about your dad! Maybe a special memory or how he has influenced your life!

Thank you Jeremy for sharing on my blog today. I couldn't ask for a better best friend, husband, & father to our son! We love you!

Hug the men in your life!



No comments:

Post a Comment