Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sharing Success: Interview w/Chelsea Hartsock.

Today is a day I want to take & share with you some of the amazing successes I am blessed to a part of. Today I want to tell you a little bit about my client who has inspired me & now I don't only call her one of my clients but I can call her friend & running partner. 

Here is an interview with Chelsea Hartsock: Be inspired!

1. How much weight have you lost total to this date?
 I have lost 70 pounds since I started working out with Sarah and the girls at the end of July 2010. I feel like a completely new me! I had gotten to the point where I was really insecure and had absolutely no confidence in myself. Since taking the first steps to taking care of myself and the life God has blessed me with, I have a renewed confidence and know that I am only limited to the doubts I place in my mind.
2. What are some of the fears you had beginning this journey almost a year ago in July?
Before beginning the fitness class with Sarah and a small group of ladies, I kept telling myself I couldn't do it. I just knew that I wouldn't be able to keep up in class, would not be able to loose weight, would give up because of my insecurity, and would feel like even more of a failure than I already did. I was scared to death to walk into the gym the first day. It took a couple of weeks of class before I could vocalize the words, "I can do this." It took tears, painful bear crawls across the gym floor, TONS of encouragement from Sarah, and finding determination within myself before I knew I wasn't going to give up. 
3. What kept you going?
In the beginning, silent prayers during ab workouts, tears as I attempted to do some of the workouts, and the first couple pounds of weight loss are what kept me going. But, even more than that, what kept me going was the support I received from Sarah and the girls in class. I could not keep up with everyone else during the first few weeks and that really discouraged me for a while. Building up my confidence was a slow confidence but I did not give up because I had constant encouragement and support from the group both during and outside of class. After meeting my goals and making substantial progress I came to the realization that it was not about comparing myself to anyone else but it was about pushing myself and believing in myself every step of the way.
4. How did writing your goals down affect the outcome of them?
Writing down and working towards goals every month has made a HUGE difference to me during my journey. I was skeptical in the beginning when Sarah wanted me to turn goals into her. I was nervous because I set goals I didn't feel I could achieve as well as being afraid of being a failure if I didn't achieve them.  I voiced these concerns to Sarah and she told me they were big goals but she had no doubt that I could reach them if I tried. Every month I continued to set bigger goals for myself and with her encouragement and persistence, I was always able to meet them. I can tell that the months I do not set goals I feel that I don't have a direction to head and I find myself falling back into old habits. I would suggest that no matter what you wish to accomplish in life, set goals and make it your aim to always rise to meet them.
5. How much are you running now each week? 
On a typical week I run between 9 and 20 miles. I NEVER thought I would be able to write that statement. When Sarah took me to the rec center the first day to run she just said we would take it slow and see what I could do - I couldn't even make it half a mile. I was discouraged but she made the point that I needed to think about all the people sitting at home not giving it a shot - she said that I was ahead of them because I was trying. Those words were a huge motivation to me and I still carry them with me when I struggle on certain days.

6. Did you ever think you would become a runner?
After running my first Half Marathon on May 1st in Oklahoma City, I can officially say that I am a runner! I NEVER thought that I would or could be a runner. I was not involved in sports during high school or college and never ran voluntarily :) Running is now my escape from every day life, an excellent chance to have quiet time with Jesus, and every step I take I know I am one step closer to the healthy version of me I never thought was possible.

7. What has changed about your eating habits?
Countless people have asked me what diet I have done or if I just stopped eating altogether. My answer is no - I simply learned how to make healthy choices. I cut obvious foods out of my diet that were unhealthy and focused on lots of chicken and veggies :) There was a point where I didn't want to eat much but Sarah taught me that eating more actually made me lose more weight as long as it was the right types of food and in moderation. Now it is just simple decisions and planning throughout my day that is leading to a healthy lifestyle. One of Sarah's favorite quotes that has helped me along the way is, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." So true!

8. What moment did you start believing in yourself that this would work?
It took a while before I believed that this would work. I knew it worked for other people but my insecurity told me I couldn't do it. In all honesty, I believe the morning in class when I was finally able to do "bear crawls" not once, but twice up and down the length of the gym floor was the moment I knew I could do it! This was a huge accomplishment for me and was a big struggle in the beginning. I looked up and smiled at Sarah, for the first time without crying during this exercise, and said, "Wow. I really can do this!" Since then I have been able to believe in myself and have promised I won't give up or go back to my old lifestyle.

9. What is the one thing you want to share with others to inspire them to get moving?

"You can do anything for 15 seconds!"
I heard this phrase over and over from Sarah during workouts and I slowly realized that 15 seconds turns into 60 seconds. A 1/2 mile turns into 13.1 miles. Eventually, 13.1 miles will turn into 26.2 miles. :)
Give it a shot, get moving, and you won't regret it for a second! 


Thank you Chelsea for sharing your journey with everyone! I am so proud of you & love seeing how God is working in your life!


Here are her transformation photos:
Chelsea on right
End of July 2010
Chelsea, Sarah, & Trina (Running partners)
Finished her first 5K in September 2010
Trina, Sarah, Rachel, Chelsea
Ready for our HALF MARATHON 
May 2011
Accomplished the task!
Post Race
Chelsea & Andrew preparing for 5K
Encouraging the ones around her!
Beautiful Chelsea 70 pounds later!

Love you girl! :)
Be inspired today!



No comments:

Post a Comment