Thursday, April 12, 2012

Leading from behind.

(source)


Growing up as an athlete & having a natural competitiveness side in me I always took the approach to lead by example. I strived to finish first & out work everyone. Although there is nothing wrong with that approach at all & I still strive to do it at times, I have learned in the past few years to lead in a different way: leading from behind. A friend of mine showed this to me by her actions of selflessness & I have been praying to find ways to do this in my everyday life too. It's been life changing to say the least.

When I was participating in a bootcamp with a few other baseball wives during Spring Training God laid Mark 9:35 on my heart one morning. A sweet lady in the class had recently lost her sister & it was 5:30 in the morning of her sisters birthday. She was open about it & the fact that today was a struggle. As I heard her talking about how her sister would want her to change & be healthier I heard God saying to put my self aside for the day. As we rounded the corner of the lake I noticed she was no where to be found on the bridge. She was coming up the road a ways back. That dark morning was tough for her. Normally I would push myself to finish first but that day I had to set my pride to the side & go back to get her. I remember thinking as we were jogging behind the rest of the group that this is the way Jesus did it. He leads from the back... pushing, encouraging, & serving us. I needed that reminder that day. I was honored to finish with her that day & I would have to say we were champions that day! I needed that moment that day as much as her.

To update you on this wonderful lady I am happy to tell you that she is truly making positive lifestyle changes! She is committed & determined to make a difference in the ones she influences, including her daughter. Her 12 year old daughter participated in many bootcamp classes while I was there in Florida. She continues to make her sister proud & be the best she can be. She not only is getting healthier but as time went on I saw her encouraging us! Miss Shirley will always have a special place in my heart. We bonded that day. I was reminded that morning that I need to listen to Gods quiet voice in my heart more often.


Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve & said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, & the servant of all."  Mark 9:35

Serving others is real leadership. When Jesus was talking he described leadership in a whole new perspective. I have been overwhelmed by the way this approach has affected my life. Leading from the back has blessed me beyond words.

Join me with the challenge to have a servants heart this week & to lead from the back! Be ready & willing to hear what God calls you to do today to be more like Jesus. It will not only bless those you help but bless you beyond words.

Its not about me.



No comments:

Post a Comment